The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has shunned the court order and posted the notice of verification for the recall of the lawmaker representing Kogi west senatorial district, Dino Melaye.
In the notice posted at the commission’s office in Lokoja, capital of Kogi state on Monday, INEC said the verification would hold across all polling units in the senatorial district on August 19.
The notice signed by it chairman Mahmood Yakubu and dated July 10, 2017.
The notice reads, “In accordance with section 69 of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended) notice is hereby given that the verification for the recall of the member representing Kogi West senatorial district shall hold on the 19th August, 2017.”
This comes despite a Justice of a Federal High Court in Abuja, asking INEC and Melaye to maintain “status quo”, pending the hearing of a motion filed by the Senator to seek an interlocutory injunction.
Tsoho then fixed September 29 for the hearing of the motion.
Nigeria Politics Online had earlier reported that INEC has insisted it would go ahead with the recall process as they have not been served any court ruling or process.
A top official of the electoral commission who spoke to The Nation, stated that the recall process will go ahead.
“As at the close of work, we were not served any order, ruling or a process from the Federal High Court.
“Even if we had received any order from the court, our legal unit will still advise us on what the status quo means. We cannot act in vacuum.
“Certainly, we are adhering to our timetable on the recall process. We are going ahead from Monday.
“Any time we get a court order to stop the process, we will comply immediately,” the source said.
The timetable released by the INEC for Melaye’s recall process will run from July 10 to August 19.